Wednesday, March 01, 2006

It's hardly a "good" morning on the weekends!

Thanks to my new working schedule, we've had to make incredible adjustments to our days and nights. Since Iman goes with me in the mornings and comes home with me in the afternoons, we've had to move her day up by a few hours. Instead of her normal waking time of 10am, she's woken up at 6am, which automatically makes bedtime 6pm.

So far things have fallen into place quite smoothly, and the best thing about an early bed time is the extra time that Omair and I get for ourselves. Once Iman is down for the night, we get a chance to enjoy a meal together (a luxury that was lost several months ago!). We get to watch a movie or on some days we just sit and talk or even read a book (non parents, you have NO idea how impossible it is to try and read anything with a toddler in the house!). But mainly we sit and enjoy the silence in the house. Funny thing though... maybe an hour after she's asleep, we really miss having her around!

This routine works almost picture perfect during the week. It's the weekends that now pose a strange and bizarre dilemma. No matter how much we try and delay bed time on a weekend night, the next morning Iman wakes up bright and shining at 6:30 (latest!) and she is SO chirpy and excited... and the last thing we want to do is get out of bed. But oh well... parenting is a full time job, and when the baby wakes up, breakfast is not far on the agenda. So our weekend mornings are no longer about sleeping in or lazing in bed. Instead, we're up and active by 7, only dreaming of a weekend where we can sleep in.

10 Comments:

At 10:48 PM, Blogger Lorraine said...

If it's any consolation, you will get to sleep in again. When she's around 5 she'll be able to fend for herself and you might find some Saturday that you got to sleep in while she was having cereal and watching cartoons.

It is super fantastic to have time in the quiet with your husband...very important to keep that flame burning.

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Blogger said...

Yes, I think it's probably true that 'first thing in the morning' is the only time when a cute little kid's chirpiness loses some of its infectiousness.

I'm just privately chuckling at visions of O struggling to enjoy a 7 a.m. dose of corn flakes... or whatever he has for breakfast...

 
At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

@D,

Actually, I am the one who enjoys early bird weekends.

Gives us more time to do things.

:)

O

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger Asma said...

So true! Just the other day,was listening to the radio and a woman did this whole thing on how her schedule as a mom was soooo different than her single friends! Don't make the mistake that she did...calling your friends when you wake up, even a good two hours after you wake is still too early for most people!

 
At 6:07 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Wow! That is what we go through. Because I get up so early to teach and Gabriel goes to my mom's house in the morning, he is up by 6:30-7:00 which means he's in bed 12 hours later. The evenings are nice with my husband (although sometimes he works nights), but it sure is hard after a long week to not sleep in on Saturday! It is nice to get up and have a full day of fun ahead of us. The initial getting up is pretty tough though.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Zette Remi said...

We are currently at a point in life where we are contemplating having kid(s)...actually "I" am thinking about it - not him. I don't think we will ever be "ready" - you just have to dive in, right?

I loved your blog! I'll drop by more often I'm sure...

 
At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to my world.... I don't remember what a non 6:30 morning feels like. Naaj is in school loving it ... verrrrrrrry active, walks a round of the park and is in bed by 8:30 pm ... but has stopped taking a nap in the after noon. That isn't good is it? I'm worried she'll have stunted growth coz of the lack of sleep.

 
At 7:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Waht happened to your Mom? Is she still with you?

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Hina said...

lorraine, You are absolutely right. It's fantastic to have alone time with Omair, kind of feels like we're at the start of our relationship again!

d, it's Omair who enjoys the mornings. I'm the one who must be dragged out of bed!

asma, I can't imagine the reaction you must have gotten on the other end of the line!

elizabeth, so you know EXACTLY what I am going through! School makes it a 6:00 morning for us too!!

..., the answer is YES, you will have to dive in head first. There is no real "right" time to have kids. Omair and I were so happy and settled in our lives that one day we actually had to sit down and have that "when are we going to have kids?" talk!

Noor, now I know what you always used to say about early morning. Hats off to you man, I STILL can't wake up in the morning. I hope Naj gets back to napping, I can't imagine what I would do if I didn't have that hour off in the afternoon.

neena, My mom had a stroke a couple of weeks ago. Thank God she's fine, and in fact she travelled back home last week.

Thanks all for visiting!

 
At 12:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's TERRIBBLE...I am sorry but it's awful that you don't get to sleep on weekends, the only time to catch up on yourself...but oh well...you can kid yourself thinking "we just love it" :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home