Saturday, January 21, 2006

Scrapes, bruises, cuts... MAJOR TRAGEDIES

There comes a time in our lives where we experience an event that can make us stronger or weaker, depending on how we deal with it. While raising a child, you'll learn that all your "reactions" can cause equal and opposite "actions" by your baby...

Yesterday Iman got her hands on our industrial tape measure (the self-retracting one, made of metal) (also, please no comments on WHY she had it in the first place). She was using the tape measure to measure the heights of all her toys. Cute to watch, but a disaster waiting to happen. Moments into the game, the tape measure suddenly self-retracted (as it is meant to do) and in the while causing a deep gash in Iman's cute little paw. She stood there stunned, as did we, watching deep red beads of blood starting to trickle out of her finger. This being our first "bloody" experience, we weren't too sure of what to do and where to start.

As I said before, children look to their parents for a reaction before they respond to a situation. So after her initial facination with her own blood, Iman turned to look up at us to see what to do next. I had two choices,

#1, PANIC, start hyperventalating and instill a life long fear of cuts (and blood) in Iman.
OR
#2, Applaud her facination and look at her cut with her and then wash it off and bandage it.
OR (the hidden)
#3, Be myself and cover my eyes and start shouting "Omair! Iman's bleeding! Oh my God! Oh my God! Do something!! She's bleeding!! Oh my God, do something, you know I can't handle blood! Do something before she starts to panic!!"

Oops, a boo boo on my part.

But listen, in these situation you HAVE to be there to understand :)

So I watched Iman's first blood spill (through my fingers, with my eyes still sort of covered), and saw Omair step up and make the best of this situation. As he washed her hands off, he explained to her that playing with "big people toys" will get her hurt, and she needs to be careful. Then he took her to the kitchen and put on a band-aid, and kissed her cut. Telling her that everything will be all better.

Thank God parenting is a 2 person job!

9 Comments:

At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After delivering the now smiling and bandaged Iman to her mom. Basking in the praises, showered at him from the love of his life, about how in control, composed, pillar of strength, etc. he is.

Omair went into the next room and fainted.

O

 
At 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So why WAS the tape measure lying around so irresponsibly...???

 
At 1:33 AM, Blogger Lorraine said...

Oh my! What a great story (and papa's comment is perfect!) You are so right about them waiting to read our reactions but it certainly is difficult to remain calm in the face of such a big boo boo. The good news is I'm pretty sure she won't be scarred for life, physically or emotionally.

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I havn't had any major tragedies yet, but when my little one gets more mobile, I'm sure it will happen. I'll have to try and remember to stay calm. You have a beautiful little girl.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger bakpakchik said...

LOL @ O

I go away for ONE weekend and you guys go nuts.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Hina said...

d, you try and explain to a 20 mointh old why she can't play with something. And then I'd like to see you take it away from her...

lorraine, thank God she won't remember most of my boo boo's. In her early days both me and my husband were a TOTAL mess.

elizabeth, welcome on board!

AND NOW FINALLY...

BPC, what can I say? you keep us in check. Next time you want to leave the country, think twice about Iman :)

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger KM said...

lol...i was actually counting on u to stay calm!
uff this was hilarious!
i felt like i was there!

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Lorraine said...

By the way, if you want to not get "spambot" messages, just turn on the word verification feature in the settings.

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger mayya said...

Precisely why parenting ACTUALLY is a two person job =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home