Friday, January 27, 2006

Bringing the "other woman" into my home

I have to put Iman in daycare for 5 days while I take a friends place as a teacher this coming week. Luckily the daycare is on school grounds, and luckier still is the fact that my friend (whose place I am taking) has a full time nanny who is going to watch Iman at the daycare. In order to break the ice between the nanny (whose name is Hilda) and Iman, I arranged for a "meeting" at our house yesterday. When Hilda first walked in, Iman tried her best to hide behind me. Soon enough (and thanks to Hilda's efforts to be fun and interactive) Iman loosened up and started sharing her toys and books with the new woman in our house. I was thrilled to see the two of them getting along, because that meant that on Saturday morning Iman wouldn't be scared to death when I handed her over for the day.

All good things have a bad silver lining, and here is mine...

Round 1
When it was time to feed Iman her lunch, Hilda offered and I honestly told her that "Iman doesn't eat from anyone, not even her grandmother! She's very picky about who feeds her, and I'm the only one who can do it".

Crash and Burn

Hilda insisted, took the bowl, and Iman ate.

Hilda:1
Mommy:0

Round 2
We decide to go the park and let them play together... I take out Iman's jacket and shoes. Hilda offers to get Iman ready and I say... "I don't know, she hasn't had anyone do this for her, she might be reluctant"

Crash and Burn (again)

Hilda gets Iman ready and Iman happily takes her hand and walks to the door.

Hilda:2
Mommy:0


Round 3
I drop them at the park and Iman leads Hilda in by the hand, she doesn't even turn to look back at me. When I come back after half and hour, Iman spots me in the distance. I extend my arms expecting her to run towards me.

Crash and Burn (yet again)

Iman clutches onto Hilda and says "go away" (to me)

Hilda:3
Mommy:0


Round 4
Hilda says to me, "I taught her a new word! Iman... say see saw" Iman says "thee thaw"

Wow. For the past 20 months, I have taught Iman everything she knows. I was the first to hear all new words, and the first to see them used. Now here is another woman who has known my baby for only a few hours and now she's teaching her things???

Hilda:4
Mommy:0

Round 5
On our way back to the car, Iman trips and falls. Both Hilda and I rush to her side. With tears rolling down her cheeks she gets up and puts her arms around me.

Hilda:4
Mommy: priceless

5 Comments:

At 9:29 PM, Blogger DysfunctionaL said...

that's absolutely adorable!

mommies ARE mommies after all! =)

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I understand how you feel a little bit. I had to work this year instead of stay home with Gabriel. I am very fortunate to have my mother across town to take care of my son. I was so worried that Gabriel would do all of his "firsts" with her and not me, and that he would think she's mommy! I have realized these past several months that I am still mommy to my boy and that yes, even though I am missing some "firsts", there have been some things that he has done first for me. I am also happy that the person experiencing the "firsts" are my mother and not some stranger. It's sounds like #5 on your list still prooves that you are the most important person in your little girl's life. Mommy will always be Mommy!

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Lorraine said...

And there you go, Hina. Bottom line, no one in the world is ever going to matter to Iman than you. NO ONE!

The other side of it is that our babies can never have enough defenders in their corner.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Asma said...

lol that was hilarious!

 
At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a clever way to write about The Invasion Of Hilda... although, to be fair, it does sound like she was a very good nanny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home