Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Grandma to the rescue

This past week I have been to hell and back. Starting from the ill fated last weekend when Iman fell terribly sick. As if the guilt of leaving her behind wasn't enough... I had to leave her behind when she was sick!

This time around we had a really bad spell! Through the weekend Iman had a very high fever, and we spent 3 sleepless nights sponging her temperature down. The first night I slept 4 hours, the next night it was 3 and then the night before my first day at work, it was 2 hours. I spent my first day totally absorbed in my guilt, and on my drive home I kept telling myself that I would quit, because this isn't what I want for my child.

That night Iman had a fever of 103 F, and I still went to work the next day.

Luckily, my parents are incredibly accomodating, and when I called to tell them that Iman was unwell and I couldn't settle into work, my dad immediately booked my mom on the evening flight and sent her to our rescue!

Since then things have eased out. My mom keeps Iman with her at home and gives her all the love and attention she wants. She feeds her well, plays with her, teaches her, reads to her and most of all... gives her hugs when she wants them. All that aside, she also cleans up the house and has lunch on the table for me when I come home and dinner cooking on the stove. Having her here has really made a difference in my life. When she isn't busy taking care of the house and Iman, she sits with me and gives me strength and courage that I am lacking as I start this new phase in my life. She assures me that in time Iman will settle down, and this is something I need to do for myself. She reminds me of all the good reasons for taking this job and pacifies my fears.

And when the long day comes to an end and I put Iman down for the night, my mom hugs me and kisses me and tells me to get some rest because I have a long day ahead. And at that moment, I have a heartwarming feeling that no matter how many years we may have behind us, she will always be my mommy and I will always be her baby.

Thank you mom, not just for taking care of Iman, but also taking care of me. I love you.

12 Comments:

At 4:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Mom's job never ends. Hope you'll do the same for Iman as your Mom is doing for you. Extra money is always handy and don't forget your mom Lol ;). Give her a nice present. She really deserves it.

 
At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is nothing that can replace the selfless love of a mother. It really is one of life's greatest blessings. I know I thank god everyday for my mama . :)

 
At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And why don't we give a shout out to the Dad who booked his wife on a flight straight away!

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Blogger said...

Okay, sorry, shameless self-promotion. I just wanted to leave a comment with my new Blogger ID.

 
At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

I'm the 'anonymous' who told you that I'm studying to be a teacher and I'm so conflicted whether its the right career choice for me.

I was born and brought up in Dubai, and moved to Vancouver when I was 16. I did the last 2 years of my high school here and as of now, I'm 21 and I'll be graduating with my BA in family studies this coming May. I'm going to start my teaching program in September. I'm studying to be a High School Home Economics teacher.I'm so worried no one will take me seriously because people constantly ask me if I'm 14.

I was down in Dubai this past X'mas, my sister and dad still work and live there, while my mom, brother and me live here.

I don't have a blogger account, hence the hidden identity:)

I usually get rigid around babies,I feel like I have no control around kids.They move so rapidly,I can never keep up.Your site obviously paints an entirely different perspective.

Thank you for the education! haha

Good Luck at school!

 
At 3:37 AM, Blogger Lorraine said...

Yeah Nana! What a gift to you and Iman. And I'll bet it makes mom feel pretty special, too. You are blessed.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Blogger said...

Sorry to divert attention away from you and Iman, but just to respond to Sherrine's comment...

Sherrine, I'm sure lots of people have told you the line about how only YOU can know what's right for you and only YOU can decide whether teaching's for you etc etc, and of course all that's true, but I just thought I'd mention that nearly all the excellent teachers I know [and I know a few, 'cause I'm a teacher too ;-)] went through a phase of deep self-doubt before embarking on their careers, even though they'd always been certain that teaching was the only thing they ever wanted to do.

So I think basically what I'm saying is: if you decide that teaching ISN'T for you, that's fine, but don't let doubt be the only thing that swings you away from the profession.

Thank you, I'll just hop off my soap box now...

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

What a wonderful post! Moms are awesome! Glad your mom can be with you. I thank God for my mom everday and for the time she is able to be with my son and help take care of him while I am teaching.

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Hina said...

Thank you all for visiting. And... welcome to all the new names!

Keep posted for new updates...

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Blogger said...

"Mike" isn't for real, right?

 
At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hina,
I'm feeling relieved your mother is there with you ... so i can imagine you and Iman can only be feeling something many times more. I'm so happy to hear you got the love and care you needed and Iman is in safe hands. Lots of warm hugs to Gran... but you might have to explain who I am to her first...

 
At 5:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

to DariushAlavi:

What you said made so much sense because I was thinking about it and i've reached a conclusion that I might as well do my teaching degree and the try it out. If i love it, well and good; if i don't...it doesnt matter because more education can never hurt you ya?

In case all fails, I do have a back-up plan..cos I've done my BA in family studies.

Lastly, I don't ever want to look back and regret not trying it..you know?

What grade do you teach and what do you teach?

Do you wake up everyone morning feeling atleast remotely ecstatic about going to work?

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home