Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Babies all around!

Over a year and a half ago when I gave brith to Iman, I felt as though I had joined an elite club of parents, later to realize that I was the only member in my circle of friends. At first it seemed as though it would have been better if we had waited some more, but then I realized that 3 years was long enough for us, and having the "only child" in the group brought endless advantages.

Iman is doted over by all our friends. They love her like their own. She's been cherished since the day she was born. I'm glad that she's had that chance, because now it's time to move over and let the lime light shine on others...

Three of our friends have had babies so far, and one is in labor as I am writing this. It's nice to see these new couples starting a family, seeing as we know the drill, I feel like Yoda (Star Wars). I've been asked so many questions... "Why is my baby is sleeping so much?", "She won't drink enough milk", "I think she isn't gaining enough weight...", "Why does my son have a constant eye infection?", "How do we get a passport and residence visa for the baby?".... the list goes on and on and on and on. I'm just glad that I can be here with the answers.

It's a good thing that one of us had a baby first, because I remember being a new mom and being endlessly confused about what to do and how to do it. On Iman's 1st birthday, Omair and I sat and went over the past year, recalling our moments where we were so freaked out over the smallest things. First time parenting is the hardest job in the world. But I still hold true to my word... it's also the most rewarding.

I think we're ready for round 2.

9 Comments:

At 8:49 PM, Blogger mayya said...

I soo agree, I was the first one amongst my parents friends kids and am doted on till today :D yayy!

and you can be our very own desi Dr. Spock :D

ohhh and you HAVE to check out www.babyblues.com if you haven't read them already, you'll so relate to them =)

 
At 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to have you back... and to know that your parenting skills are being passed on to others!

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Hina said...

mayya... I read the Baby Blues any chance I get. I agree, they are REALLY funny (and very relatable). Still looking for the perfect one to put on my fridge.

d... It's good to be back! And it's good to be able to have others to share the knowlege with. Now I'm just waiting for Arfi and Ujala to take the plunge...

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger bakpakchik said...

Relax hinamommy, we're still sticking ot our Four-Year-Plan. Yah-haan ... even after one year of marriage, it's still a Four-Year-Plan ;)

So inshaAllah, when Iman is five, and Round 2 is three we shall give them a little cousin to play with.

LOL

Here's the blog i told you about on the phone: www.abezavecrat.blogspot.com/

hilarious posts on marriage, preganancy and muslim stuff.

I can' seem to find my favorite post in there though ... it was the BEST ... I don't remeber her exactwords, but it was something about the wonderful miracle of silently comptemplating at the mosque during taraveeh prayers and watching the tiny beads on your scarf jump on your belly, as the tiny life growing inside you kicked.

It totally made me want to have a baby kick inside me during taraveeh! LOL

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger mayya said...

I know the blog bpc is talking about, its address changed to sanchez sez something, I have the link up on my links list under Sanchez
and yes that post was really beautiful :) *sigh*
Can't I just have two cute babies and take them for a walk in the park every day and get compliments on how cute they are?

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger Lorraine said...

The other great thing about the community of "doters" is that as your child grows she will benefit so much from the love and wisdom of people not her parents. She'll have other people to go to with her "issues" and you and your husband will have the peace of knowing that they are going to give her the same answers you would have!

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Hina said...

lorraine... I know what you mean, it's like the "grandparent factor". And yes, Iman is very lucky to have so many people in her life... now the big question is, are they going to give her the same answers as us, or are they going to help her sneak out of the house at night. Aaaaaah, if only you knew our friends :)

 
At 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, dat blogs now at sanchezsez.blogspot.com

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger Lorraine said...

Hina, Thanks for coming by my blog. One of the coolest things about blogging is "meeting" people from all over. And there is something abundantly cool about a Muslim mom of a baby in the UAE and a Catholic mom of a tween in the US sharing their stories. Understanding how much we all have in common is part of the answer for creating a better, more peaceful world to give to our children. And as for understanding American politics, I probably know more than I should. Which compells me to say, sorry about the mess we're making of things. Really. A lot of us are working hard to fix it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home