Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The HAPPY and SAD of a situation

The good news is that I was offered the job at the school, and the better news is that I took it! As this new chapter in our lives unfolds, there are things of unimaginable magnitude that need to be considered.

So as a treat, I will give you my pros and cons list in Iman's style...

Over time as Iman became more vocal, we learned to "simplify" our vocabulary. Things needed to be explained to her in short statements, and before we knew it, this became our way of conversation. So today, I will list my "pros" as "happy" and my "cons" as "sad"...

happy...

1. The salary is great
2. The school is ranked as one of the best in Dubai
3. They don't hire Asian teachers, I am an exception (because I am sooooo GOOD!)
4. I'll have ALL the school holidays and a standard 2 day weekend (plus a 3 month summer vacation!!)
5. Over the past year I have wanted to get out of the house to do something, so this is my chance
6. Because of this job we'll be able to move to a more central location in Dubai AND into a 2 bedroom apartment
7. Iman really enjoys the company of other kids and she LOVED her time at the daycare this past week
8. This will help Iman settle into a routine and get ready for school. Daycares offer a lot more than we can give her at home, it's litterally a room full of toys and kids with loads of activities to do
sad...
1. Iman will spend most of the day without her parents
2. She will eat 2 meals with strangers
3. If she falls sick, there won't be any mommy to hug hold and cuddle (not to mention, when she is sick, it will KILL me to leave her there alone)
4. I will have to get up at 6 am and drive 45 minutes to get to work
5. I'll have a lot of work and responsibiltiy
6. I will have to come home (tired) and then cook and take care of Iman
7. I'll miss her

13 Comments:

At 1:10 AM, Blogger Lorraine said...

Congratulations on the new job...I'm sure you'll make it work. Cute pictures of the Babe.

 
At 5:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

which school in dubai did u get a job in?
AND..
what do u teach and what grade?

sorry about the curiosity..
its cos i'm studying to be a teacher.
i dunno if its the right thing for me..i wanna do it so bad, yet i'm so conflicted!

happy for u:)

u're lil girl is such a muffin

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger mayya said...

wesay I did a research paper once, and it turned out that working mothers make better mums, and I do see that my friends with working mothers have a MUCH better relationship with them but then they're older in their late teens, early twenties

congratulations :) hope everything goes well

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Hina said...

@ anonymous, teaching is great. This is the 3rd school that I'll be working at in Dubai. It's been a challenging job, because you are directly responsible for the development of the kids, but it's also quite satisfying.

Just remember it requires a lot of patience and dedication.

 
At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all major congratulations on getting the job. Second: how CUTE are those pics???

I really and truly hope this will turn out to be a good move for you. I'm sure that if anyone can make it work, then you and O can. I also think that if you have to be a working mother (or father, for that matter) teaching is a wonderfully family-friendly job to do, because, as you said, you get the same holidays as your kids, you get a 2 day weekend and you don't work horrible office-type hours. And you never know: seeing the behaviour and personalities of so many other children might actually inform some of the 'mothering decisions' you make with your own child.

I should stop writing, 'cause I always make my comments so long, but basically I think what I'm saying is: good luck, although I have a feeling you won't need it.

 
At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I knew there was one other thing!

What age kids will you be teaching and what will you be teaching them?

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Lorraine said...

Study schmuddy. I just have to say that the whole "working mom" v "at home mom" is so annoying. Each one of us makes the choices we feel are best for our kids. If we do that, we are good parents. It shouldn't be a competition. A good parent is one who is present to her children, sets firm and reasonable limits, gives her children values, insists on personal responsibility and loves 'em, loves 'em, loves 'em. I've known great parents from all walks of life...no one choice is better than the other. I'll get off my soapbox now. :)

 
At 2:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya! Congrats :) What school is it? I am familiar with schools in Dubai so I'd love to know which one you got hired at. Do you get a three-month paid leave?

 
At 3:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They don't hire Asian teachers, I am an exception (because I am sooooo GOOD!)

:) Besides being pretty, What are your qualifications?

Goodluck with your job!!

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger DysfunctionaL said...

Iman looks super duper cute!

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, the comment above reminded me that I too wanted to ask you why it's so good that the school doesn't hire Asian teachers.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Asma said...

Mabrook on the job, and masha'Allah adorable pics of Iman!!

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Hina said...

Thanks all for the congrats and "good luck" wishes! Whether I like being a working mom or not will be decided in the coming weeks.

In reply to some specific comments...

d and anonymous, I'll be the class teacher for Grade 4, teaching English, Math and Science.

2nd anonymous, I don't know if I'll get paid for the full 3 months, since I am joining mid year, but if I do... it will be one hell of a summer vacation!

and now for the GRADE FINALE...

They don't hire Asian teachers, I am an exception (because I am sooooo GOOD!)

The latter part was meant as sarcasim. Unfortuantely there is still a great level of discrimination in Dubai. Good schools prefer to offer jobs to people with white skin (regardless of their qualifications or experience), for someone like me, it's a very big deal to break through this barrier and get a job that was meant for a white person and that too at the same salary!

I know it might sound surreal to some people, and being raised and educated abroad, it's something that really disapoints me too, but I'm glad that this time I got what I deserved. Being qualified to teach primary students from the United States, and having 4 solid years of experieince working at an Arab school, what's the difference between me and a person with white skin?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home