Friday, May 11, 2007

What's in a name?

Choosing the right name for your child is the biggest responsibility. There are so many things to consider... not to mention, this is the identity you are creating for your child before they can make one for themselves.

I am a firm believer that the name has to "grow" with the baby. So, when I was 3 months pregnant with Iman, Omair and I had gone through baby names like there was no tomorrow. Since we didn't want to find out the gender of the baby, and we didn't want to wait until the baby was born in order to find a name, we ended up settling on 2 names, one for a boy and the other for a girl. Omair had really taken to the name Iman and I had chosen Rayyan. Since we had a girl, Iman was welcomed into our lives.

This time around, we found out that we were having a girl at week 20. So we were name hunting since then. There were many that made the list... Ayzah, Jennah, Riham, Amal, Myra.

The chosen one was of course, Ayzah.

Why this and not any other? I don't know. I've always felt that naming my children is a HUGE responsibility. The name has to suit them as a baby, as a school kid, as a teenager, as a college student, as a colleague, and as a spouse. Let's say, I am looking for something classy that will grow with them.

We had come across Ayzah when my sister was pregnant. At the time she chose another name, but Omair and I really liked it, so it stuck in our minds. When we found out that we were going to have a girl, we tried to look for other names, but this one just kept making the top of the list.

And when we welcomed our second born into the world, Ayzah just seemed like it was her name.

P.S. Ayzah is more commonly spelled Aizah. And it means noble. I have also heard that Ayzah was Hazrat Ali's (RA) daughter, but I have no real proof or confirmation on that.

6 Comments:

At 3:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the reply! I agree...naming your chid is a HUGE responsibility. I am so sad to hear the weird 'unique' names running around like strawberry, etc. i come across.

:)

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger Shezalldat said...

I love the meaning of Ayzah. We have very similar name preferences. Eemaan, has been my favorite name for as long as i can remember. I had an imaginary friend and a doll named Eemaan. Ofcourse, now I want my first daughters name to be Eemaan too. Rayyan was also another favorite when we were considering Eesa's name since it means the gatekeeper for those who fast and Eesa was born on the first of ramadan.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Mona said...

ayzah's a lovely name with a lovely meaning.

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

totally relate to the post. we havent found out the gender also so we are also looking to be ready with 2 names. we picked out a boys name very earlky on somehow- something we both liked meaning and strength wise- but we are stuck on a girls name- nothing has clicked so far- any websites you can share? we have been through so many but no luck so far...and times a flyin :)

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Blogger said...

You're a teacher too, so I'm sure you've had quite a few moments when you've thought, 'Why would a parent give a name like THAT to their child??'

I think Ayzah's a great name and - not that this should be a major consideration - it'll be very easy to say by people from different countries and speakers of different languages.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Lorraine said...

I wish more people brought that level of thought and responsibility to naming their children. Sometimes I'll hear a name and think, "Golly, why didn't you just name the kid 'Kick-Me'". It's as if being thought oh so clever and contemporary and original is more important than what the child will have to endure with a silly name. (And yes, I'm thinking of Gwenyth Paltrow's daughter Apple, among others).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home