Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Just when you think you have things in control...

I've realized that when you're raising children, you can never settle into a "comfort zone". Everytime you THINK you've got it all figured out, the child throws a curve ball your way and you're feilding is all off.

I am a person that oozes organization. I MUST have things under control. I need to know what's coming next. So when I started on my journey as a mother, it was natural for me to try and find the flow of things. It wasn't long before I realized that raising children is a constant form of education. You NEVER stop learning, because they never stop changing.

When Iman was born, every few months, when I felt like I had her all figured out, she would change her pattern and I would be back to sqaure one.

In my natural contsruction, this was the most frustrating thing, becuase I felt like things would never settle down. But I came to learn that embracing the constant change is was keeps mothers alive. Although failure to establish patterns can be frustrating for people like me, it's the value of growing and learning that becomes the new routine.

6 Comments:

At 3:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh God, sounds as though you're speaking my mind there!

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger jammie said...

:) havent been ablew to comment on your blog in a while. some connection issue i think.

i hear ya. im great with constant change- i think i actually thrive on it- what im scared of falling into is the mommy rut- when i become one of those humourless weirded out obsessed with their own existence type motrhers :) but like you said, you make your peace as you go along- am praying i retain all this :)

hope the girls are doiong well :) more pics?

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Blogger said...

Oddly enough, I'm actually writing something at the moment about a young mother who finds it so difficult to cope with the disruption that her baby brings, she actually rejects her family and ostracises herself from everyone around her.

I guess, yes, you do have to make a personal choice: give in to the constant changes or try to stand in their way like an increasingly-weakening flood-barrier.

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Mona said...

learning, learning to cope with the constant changes too!
i'd love to say hana is a creature of habit and this is when she's up and this is when she sleeps..but anyone who says infants have a routine are LYING. right?

 
At 12:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assalamu Alaikum,

Please do a post about your daughter's names. How you choose them, why and what do they mean! I love the name Iman but I don't know what Ayzah means. :)

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Lorraine said...

Truer words were never spoken.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home