Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day

Mean Moms
Someday when my children are old enough to understand the logic that motivates a parent,
I will tell them, as my Mean Mom told me:
I loved you enough ... . to ask where you were going, with whom,
and what time you would be home.
I loved you enough to be silent and let you discover that your new best friend was a creep.
I loved you enough to stand over you for two hours while you cleaned your room,
a job that should have taken 15 minutes.

I loved you enough to let you see anger, disappointment, and tears in my eyes.
Children must learn that their parents aren't perfect.
I loved you enough to let you assume the responsibility for your actions
even when the penalties were so harsh they almost broke my heart.
But most of all, I loved you enough . . .
to say NO when I knew you would hate me for it.
Those were the most difficult battles of all.
I'm glad I won them, because in the end you won, too.
And someday when your children are old enough to understand the logic
that motivates parents, you will tell them.
For all you mom's and mom's to be out there... Happy Mother's Day!
Omair, thanks for the beautiful evening.
And thanks especially for making it special for my mom as well!

4 Comments:

At 12:14 PM, Blogger Mona said...

ooh, what did omair do, exactly? it sounds wonderful from your note of thanks!
and boy am i glad God blessed me with a mean mom!

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Blogger said...

That's really wonderful. Did you write it or was it in a Mother's Day card?

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Lorraine said...

Happy Mother's Day, Hina. The Child has, more than once, told me I'm the Worst Mother in the World because I made her fulfill an obligation or do something herself or forbid her to do something. And it's a badge I wear proudly. Someday she'll understand.

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Hina said...

Mona, Omair brought flowers for me and my mom (separately). He brought home a cake, and got me a "Masala" magizine. And, he also got me a frame with a picture of me in it. Initially I thought it was silly because who really needs a picture of themselves, but he said that he wanted me to put it up in the house to remind me that along with being a wife and mother, I have my own identity :)

Then he took us all out for dinner.

D, I didn't write it or get it from a card, it was mailed to me.

Lorraine, I am sure that one day I will be the proud owner of that badge too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home