Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The fascination with getting hurt

Last time I was at a pharmacy, I picked up a box of those kiddy band aids. The really cute kind that are small enough to fit on those tiny fingers AND they have adorable cartoons printed on them.

Being a mom to a 2 year old has taught me that band aids are now an essential for the house. Iman’s curiosity and active learning mind usually starts with exploring with her hands. And in this exploration, her fingers are the first to get injured.

So the last time Iman cut her finger, I was over enthusiastic about pulling out the new box of really cool band aids. I put one on her finger, and realized that her fascination superceded mine by far! This particular cartoon on her finger was a cat. First she used it as a puppet and put on a show for me. Then she kept tickling me with her injured finger exclaiming the “cattie coming to eat mama!”. Finally when Omair came home, she pointed her finger at him and said “look baba, cattie in the house!”. Omair innocently looked around for a cat, and Iman burst out laughing, and screaming “here, here” as she waved her finger around.

The great cat was a treat to have in the house. Iman was overjoyed with its presence. And even after it was time to take that band aid off, Iman insisted that she wanted to save her “cattie” from the trash can, and she carefully put it away in her toy box.

The actual fun began after the cat. When Iman realized that there is a box full of new and exciting band aids, she became the drama queen that she usually is…

She would walk around the house and purposely bump her finger against the sofa and run to me quickly saying “mama Iman got haieeee” (haieeee in her language translates to a boo boo, or whatever you may call it). I closely inspected it and told her that it wasn't band aid worthy, and in her defense she said “this one big haieeee, mama do magic foo” (magic “foo” is when I blow on the hurt part of her body and I end it with a long whistle sound) then she said, “still haieee, Iman need magic band aid”

8 Comments:

At 2:17 AM, Blogger Lorraine said...

Classic! "Band aid worthy". LOL. I don't know what it is with kids and band aids. It doesn't actually even have to have a cartoon on it (though it helps). Once, when she was about 3, The Child came out to me, completely naked, to show me how she had "fixed a boo boo". She had band aids of all sizes on every part of her body.

 
At 2:41 AM, Blogger Shezalldat said...

haha! so can relate to it from my own childhood!

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger bakpakchik said...

iman is so adorable :) ok, when can we see her next?

 
At 6:07 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

That is too cute!

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger Asma said...

how cute! bandaids are so cool :-)

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger DysfunctionaL said...

my 11 year old sister recently bought shiny/glitzy/shimmery/different color bandaids.. and would match them with her outfits when she hurt her toenail and had to cover it up with bandaid..
iman's still really young- its forgiveable.. =P

 
At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for informing us about the kiddy band aids..i will buy one for my little twinny right away..although 1 year old, he has all the traits of medieval warriors..

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger jLow said...

My little one is going through the "I need band aid" stage now, too.

Visible or not - to him all injuries are band aid worthy.

He completely gets his flair for dramatics from his father. Seriously.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home