Monday, August 14, 2006

Independence Day Special

August 14th is Pakistan’s Independence Day. Being an expat child myself, I’ve always been really patriotic. Growing up abroad you have to have a lot of information about who you are and where you come from. Foreigners tend to question a lot about culture and heritage, and I have always enjoyed being a representative of Pakistan.

Since our independence day falls in the middle of summer, I’ve spent many of them back home in Karachi. I remember our own flag hoisting ceremony on the roof top. We’d always make “besan ka halwa” (Pakistani sweet) and once the flag was up, we’d all clap and cheer. Then we’d all sit and sing traditional Independence Day songs (Pakistan has a lot of those too!).

Being in a small apartment in Dubai doesn’t allow me to make August 14th special for Iman in the ways that I remember, but being as patriotic as I am, I couldn’t let the day go by without some mention. So today I pulled out our flag, the three of us put it up together. We did a little cut and paste activity with Iman so she would have her own little flag (thank God our flag only has 1 star and not 50!). We dressed her up in her traditional finery and to top it all off… I made green and white dinner :)

Happy Independence Day to all the Pakistanis out there!








PS. Happy Birthday to my mom, who happens to be an Independence Day baby!

10 Comments:

At 11:36 PM, Blogger Hina said...

By the way, Iman is wearing green and white, I don't know why her dress turned blue in the pictures!

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger Lorraine said...

Happy Independence Day!

And that child of yours is just too beautiful. What a little smooshy face.

And 3 cheers for Pakistan busting open that terror plot last week. That's international cooperation for you.

 
At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...i've been an anonymous reader of your blog so far and even though i'm not a mom, at least not yet, your insight into motherhood is awesome and has really gotten me thinking...also as someone whose also been brought up abroad you'redefinitely doing a great job of imbibing a sense culture/belonging into iman...sadly, pakistan has too many detractors and not enough supporters...keep writing :)...

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger mAn[S]o0r said...

wow!!! iman is SHO CUTE mashallah :)

Happy Independence day jee :)

*touching wood to keep all 'nazar' away* :)

 
At 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She looks sooo cute and I love the macaroni & cheese. Share the recipe ? YUM !!!

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger mayya said...

Wow, you're the only mom I know who's making independence day special for her child! Mostly parents here are too cynical about the state of affairs of our country to bother.

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger KM said...

iman looks beautiful mashallah!

nazar uttaar lo!

 
At 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well First Iman is just Beautiful and lovely in her Green Independence Day outfit. Happy Indendence Day and Happy Birthday to your Mother! It is wonderful that you are making sure to pass down your culture and Traditions to Iman. Good Job Mom and Great pictures

 
At 12:55 AM, Blogger jammie said...

my dads an independence day baby also and though i lived a large chunk of my younger life in abu dhabi/dubai- august 14 was always about green and white, celebrations and jeevay pakistan! you are giving iman a present more precious than anything material- a sense of identity. :)

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's super cool how you celebrate this day with you're child. I don't think anyone does stuff like that anymore.Good for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home