Monday, August 28, 2006

“The Terrific Twos”

After my “near crazy” moment with Iman, I have had a lot of conversations about anger management. Recently I was told by another mom that we destine our children for disaster in their 3rd year, because we emphasize that it’s their “terrible two’s”. When we face parenting hurdles, we lay the blame on age, not technique. So it’s been decided that new-age parenting calls for a change. The two’s will no longer be addressed as “terrible”, but instead… TERRIFIC!

Two is the time for inquisitive minds… we need to relish this curiosity and enjoy their undying need to explore.

Two is the time for affection… we need to enjoy that 134th hug and kiss and learn to understand their need to be loved and looked after.

Two is the time for attention… we need to sit and listen and pay attention to them, even when they don’t make any sense.

Two is the time to understand… because sometimes they don’t, and we do.

Two is the time for patience… because we need to know that they don’t throw tantrums to annoy us, they do it because they want to be heard.

Two is the time to teach… because little minds can learn as much as we can offer.

And two is the time to cherish… because it’s just one year, and soon they’ll be older and wiser and our problems will transform into other things.

To all the moms who had or have or will have two year olds… let’s not let them be “terrible” any more!

7 Comments:

At 6:46 PM, Blogger Lorraine said...

Right on! I actually loved the Twos. Three, that was something else again (she said, grinning). I always think it's a mistake to anticipate the "worst" about an age. Some are more challenging than others, to be sure, but expecting a nightmare pretty much sets us up to create it.

 
At 4:16 AM, Blogger Lorraine said...

Oh my gosh: I heard a fabulous poem today with a line that went something like:

"This is for the two year olds
who know one understands because they speak half Englisha and half God".

I love the idea of how fresh from the Creator our young children still are. It's important to remember that from time to time.

 
At 4:17 AM, Blogger Lorraine said...

And duh,

That supposed to be "half English".

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Lorraine said...

Geez, it's also supposed to be "no one". What is wrong with my fingers these days?

 
At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all terrific really...bless them all but OMG what will we do when they hit their teens?!

lol

Umi xx

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger jLow said...

Hina - I LOVE your blog! I, too, have a very active, very inquisitive, very intelligent, and VERY vocal 2 year old. I self-talk to work on my patience with him because he has no patience at all. I keep telling myself that he's 2 and he REALLY needs me to maintain calm because he is working so hard to communicate and accomplish his own little goals every day. And plus, when he's tired he doesn't know it or, if he does, he refuses to admit it. I will admit that some times it is an issue of him getting what he wants when he's been told no and we deal with that on a case by case basis. I pick my battles with him - I see more importance in teaching him about staying away from a hot stove than eating cheerios straight off the table with no hands. But I don't see his behavior as being a "terrible 2" so much as him discovering his own personality and expressing himself. (Sometimes I think who he is a brat but I can say that cuz I'm his Mom!) I'm loving being the mother of a toddler because they really do give you "fresh" eyes again - clouds, moon, animals, colors, bugs, etc etc.

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Hina said...

Faisal, you're being VERY sarcastic... tsk tsk tsk.

No attacks on Lorraine on my blog, she's my overseas parenting mentor :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home