Monday, May 15, 2006

A Mother's Day Story For All Hearts

I met a mom today who touched my heart in many ways. She had courage and faith and endless love for her child. Her story brought tears to my eyes but strength to my soul. For as long as I live, this story will stay in my heart.

I have a student in my grade 5 class. His kidney’s failed when he was a baby. He needs a catheter to empty his bladder every 5 hours. He can’t play like little boys, he can’t swim or take part in aggressive sports. He’s weak and frail, and sometimes because of his little “accidents” he is the aim of all rude comments and jokes from the other kids.

But he is strong. He laughs and makes jokes. He is polite and well mannered. He is smart and very good at his work. He always comes to my desk in the morning and says hello. He tries his best to fit in, even when others try to push him away. He is doing everything he can to be a normal little boy.

Today I met his mom.

I told her that her son was one of my favorite students. I admired his strength and his struggle. I am proud of his work and his achievements. Then I said… it must be hard for you to have to see your son like this. The hospital visits, the medicines, the dialysis, the operations, the look in her son’s eyes. How does she find the strength for all this?

And she replied…

We don’t give life to our children. It is God who gives them life, so it is also God who can take it away. We need to have faith in his actions, because what happens to us and our loved ones is always in our best interest. Sometimes we can’t see the meaning of his actions, but in our hearts we can believe that he will never test us more than we can bear.

She said…

I am happy to have my son. I don’t know if he will wake up from his next operation or if he will graduate from high school or go to college or get married. I can’t predict his future, but I know one thing is true…

Every night I thank God for sending my little boy to me. No matter how long he is here for, I am glad I got a chance to get to know him.

Happy Mother's Day to all mom's and mom's to be.

4 Comments:

At 11:24 AM, Blogger Blogger said...

Very, very touching and moving. Try and track down The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran. It has a beautiful section on children.

Type "your children are not your children" into Google. It should come up.

 
At 2:53 AM, Blogger Lorraine said...

What a beautiful story. He's blessed to have a mother like that. And he is also blessed to have a teacher who sees him for who he is. I'd wager that your encouragement and acceptance are being used for great good in his little life. (And the mom in me would like to smack all the children who are mean to him!)

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Beautiful...brought a tear to my eye!

 
At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

alhamdulillah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home