Thursday, April 06, 2006

The things they say... and what they mean.

Sometimes, even though Iman can be great with words... she can't express herself well enough (go figure... she isn't even 2!). Most of the time I can make out what she's saying and what she needs, but there are those few occasions, when her actions speak louder than words (literally!).

Omair is off to another business trip, and here I am, holding up the fort all by myself. I firmly believe that parenting is a 2 person job, because there is no human out there, that can be a good parent ALL the time. We all have our moments where we fall apart and can no longer do our job well. That's when the other person is handy.

These past few days I have tried to be 2 people at the same time, but I have also learned that for Iman, I can never take the place of her Dad. She's always been very close to Omair, in fact, they share this bizarre unexplainable connection, and I always find it amusing to observe them together. So his absence has been rather frustrating for our little one. Although I have been honest about his whereabouts, Iman doesn't seem to grasp the concept of a "business trip" and more often than I like, she's been whining and crying uncontrollably. She's asked about him so many times, that I am tired of repeating the same story... "Baba is in Bahrain for work. Baba is in the office. He's going to come back soon. Baba loves Iman very much. He's coming home very soon"... But all this consolation is no good. In not so many words Iman has been expressing her love for her Dad, and trying to show me that she misses him more than I probably know.

Hidden behind her tears and her temper tantrums is a special love. Something she still can't put into words, but something she just can't live without.

5 Comments:

At 12:14 AM, Blogger Lorraine said...

The two of them are so blessed to have such a close relationship. I know O will spend lots of time with Iman when he gets home and that's really important. Little ones DON'T get business trips and they DON'T get the concept of time. All she understands is that he's gone and she needs him.

The Spouse was away for 6 months when The Child was in first grade. He came home every other weekend but it was NOT a good time. And oh, did she resent it. She might have understood the situation slightly better than a 2 year old but not much. She'd miss him the whole time he was gone and then yell at him and try to hit him when he was back. Did I mention that it wasn't fun?

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger mayya said...

Iman's 2! I'm 22 and even though I don't have a tangible attachment with my dad, there's still a void and the missing feeling when he's away even if I'm very very busy with stuff =)
Long live the bond between dads and first born daughters :D

 
At 1:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband was on a work trip to Arizona for a week this week and my 3 year old has asked about him everyday. Fathers play a very special role in the lives of their daughters and I firmly believe that there is a deeper attachment between fathers and daughters than mothers really may know.

I hope time passes quickly and Iman's dad comes home. The look on their faces after there dad's return is priceless.

 
At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you mean to say the things they "do"..rather than say, methinks....

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Asma said...

Its great to see such a bond between kids and both parents, each one offers different things.

Love at this age is so unconditional. parents try so hard, but I still wonder what will happen as they grow older.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home