Saturday, March 25, 2006

The apple of our eyes...

Omair and I were at a shopping mall a few days ago, and outside a photo studio there was a sign saying that we could get our child's studio picture taken for FREE! The catch was that we would have to enter that photo into a competition, and at the end of the day the cutest child's parents would recieve a DHS. 500 (a little over $100) gift voucher for that mall.

At first we (me only!) were quite tempted... so what's the harm? Iman would never know that we had her judged on her looks, and to be quite honest, she was the prettiest girl in the group of kids (ok, this is the mom in me talking). But really, she IS so adorable! I decided to go ahead with it, and we stood in line waiting our turn. But then I started looking at Iman more critically. Was her hair in place? Was her face really "glowing" or should I wash it once more? Is the color of her shirt flattering?

And after those three questions, I realized that in my eyes my daughter would always be the prettiest girl on the block, and I would never have any judge peer over her picture to determine if she was "cuter" than the next kid.

I am not that kind of parent, and I never will be.

5 Comments:

At 2:15 AM, Blogger Lorraine said...

Good on you! It can be a real trap, that comparing thing: who's the best student, best behaved, best athlete, on and on and on. One must rise above it and just embrace you own child for all that she is.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Asma said...

right on lorraine!

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger bakpakchik said...

500 dirhams? you GOT to be kidding. you threw away 500 dirhams?!!!!!

you KNOW iman would have won by a mile. she is the cutest dang kid EVER!!!!

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Blogger said...

And what would've happened if the prize had been a 5000 dirham voucher? ... just kidding!

I think you did absolutely the right thing by sticking to your principles... and I think the next thing you should do is give in to some truly unprincipled bitchiness and display the photo of the 'winning kid' on this blog so that we can have fun pointing out all its flaw... just kidding again... well, sort of...

 
At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha ... you're a smart momma and your friends are funny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home