Monday, September 03, 2007

Commencement

We are going to experience the start of something great tomorrow. Iman's first day of nursery school! It's something she's been looking forward to since the beginning of summer, and something I've always had mixed feelings about.

Traditionally all moms breath a sigh of relief when their kids head off to school in September. It gives them some personal space. I guess I might just feel the same way in a few years. But for the time being, there are some mixed emotions in my heart. On one hand, I'm glad that she's going to go out and spend time constructively among other kids. Her horizon of activities will broaden, and she'll get time for herself. I will benefit too. With Ayzah's morning nap, I will get a whole hour on my own. There will be quiet time to read, even watch trashy morning TV. I can do whatever I please (which is quite rare when you have a 3 year old around).

But on the other hand, there's a pinch in my heart every time I think that Iman will be gone all morning. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to enjoy the break (eventually). But for the time being, she's such an essential part of my day, that I don't know what my life will be like without her.

On the eve of Iman's commencement, I don't know if I am ready to let go of her little hand, and let her venture out into the world on her own.

5 Comments:

At 6:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What happened to your Job?

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Mona said...

aww, hang in there. let us know how it goes.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Hina said...

Meena, I stopped working in June, so that I could be at home with Ayzah.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Shezalldat said...

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwww!!! id be exactly the same:(

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Lorraine said...

I don't think we're ever quite ready to let go of their hands. "Pinch on the heart"...that 'bout sums it up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home