Friday, August 31, 2007

Cheating on our Pediatrician

Finding the right doctor for the kids has been one of the most challenging things this past year. Iman's old pediatrician was situated on the other side of town, and wasn't really working for us in times of emergency, not to mention, he refused to take phone calls. So when we were acquainted to Dr. Malini who worked at the hospital near our house, it was perfect! She immediately won my heart, and cleared my stringent check list.

Things progressed well. When Ayzah was born at the same hospital, Dr. Malini was the first to see her. I was happy that the kids were in good hands. BUT... then she packed up and left. Damn.

Since I was really happy with the hospital, I took the kids to another pediatrician who worked there - Dr. Jalil. Not really my kind of guy, but he knew his stuff. I like doctors who chat with us, remember my kids names and win the children's hearts. He didn't have any of that, but we still stuck with him because Omair felt that his experience spoke for itself.

Then, we met Dr. Deepali. Same hospital, but a whole different personality. She was warm and friendly. On one of the appointments she gave Iman a pen and paper to draw with while she spoke to us. She was concerned about both girls, and even though we had gone in to show Ayzah, she dealt with a lot of our questions regarding Iman.

I was sold. But then there was the problem of switching doctors at the same hospital, without feeling weird about it.

Yesterday Ayzah was due for a vaccination. When we walked into the reception, Dr. Jalil was making his way to the cafeteria (which, by the way, is where he spends most of his time). So I ducked to the water cooler. Then while we were sitting in the waiting room, he made his way back. So again, I tried to hide the entire family behind a newspaper. When our turn was called, I made sure we all quietly entered the office (since both pediatric clinics are side by side).

On our way home, Omair asked why I put on the whole show, and I said:
"Well if we're going to cheat on our pediatrician, the least we can do is be discrete about it."

5 Comments:

At 12:08 AM, Blogger Shezalldat said...

hahaha!!! lol thats sooo funny. Alot of people tend to prefer female peadiatricians over male ones for some reason. Alhamdolillah, mine is awesome despite being a male. MashaAllah not only is he very friendly but he explains the cause, the treatment and what symptoms to look out for in great detail - and that makes me feel so comfy, just knowing that he knows his stuff well and that he's educating me enough to know what to look out for and what to prevent in the future!

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger heenad said...

hahaahah thats funny. did he find out though? and i totally get what you did. there are patients who go to my mom and show her prescriptions of other doctors. and it annoys her a little that they would go to another doctor. [and then show up when there is complications].doctors are human too.

 
At 3:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Hina.....! you once sent this blog's link to me but un-fortunately I lost it due to some prob.with my PC.
Well thank God it was on facebook, I got it from there again.....!
I must regard that this site is very practical, especially for soon to be mommies.....!
Thanks a lot for sharing all your memories with us.

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger KM said...

loved the end!
crazymommy!

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Lorraine said...

LOL. I just recently started cheating on our dentist. It happens.

But I know for a fact that they are all pretty used to it. Happens all the time if you will. Someone you and the girls are comfortable is more important than any sort of "loyalty". It's not like you actually made vows or anything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home