Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Pushing the Limits on Patience...

On my way over to work this morning, Iman decided that she was really going to test my limits...

First, the background info...My drive to work is about half an hour on the freeway. There are no signals or stops, the cars are really fast all around (Dubai traffic :) and most of the drivers are maniacs. So each day is its own battle for survival.

And now... here's the story.

Iman is all strapped into her car seat in the back and decides that she "really needs a hug". So I patiently tell her that I am driving right now, and I will give her a hug when we get to school. A minute later...

Iman: "Can I have my hug now?"...
Me: (patiently...) "We're not at school, I'll give you a hug as soon as I get there."
Iman: "Now?"
Me: (still quite patiently...) "Not now, honey we're still driving, I can't hug you when I am driving, you're going to have to wait until we get to school."
Iman: "mommy?"
Me: "Yes?"
Iman: "I'm really sad... I want a hug."
Me: (gritting my teeth...) "Iman, look at mama, I'm driving right now, I can't give you a hug. Can you wait a little while until we get to school?"
Iman: "ok"

This continues on again off again for another 15 minutes...

Finally I blow my top and answer in a much angrier tone...

Me: "How many times do you want me to tell you that I can't give you a hug right now? I really want to hug you, but I'm driving... you need to wait until I get to school! Ok? No more hugs, don't ask me for a hug... I'm driving. There are NO HUGS when I'm driving. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?"

Iman: (now with her puppy dog eyes...) ok. Then can I have a kiss?

9 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol... Awww... you should have just stopped the car and given her the hug :)

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Farrukh Ahmed said...

I so have the same feelings!!
stopping the car for a couple of minutes wouldn't have made much of a difference......but would've made Iman so happyyyyyyy
:)

 
At 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You never stop the car on al Khail Road.

O

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't stop ... you kept her safe .... that shows you love her and she'll understand that soon enough.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Blogger said...

Well done for not stopping the car! We wouldn't Iman to turn into a slothful, overly-comfortable, unambitious, 30-year-old still living at home and happily sponging off her parents, would we?

She probably learned a very important lesson about not being able wrap people around her little finger.

Did you blow her a kiss, by the way?

 
At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is a very bright little girl and has found most if not all mommies buttons. LOL LOL How cute is that? "When can I have a kiss" Very smart girl. Did you melt and blow her a kiss?

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Hina said...

ok, for all you baby lovers out there... I did blow her a kiss.
(still maintaining my patience, although there must have been steam coming out of my ears!!)

:)

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger Lorraine said...

Argh!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you need to teach her about virtual hugs...kinda like blowing kisses.

And I'm with Dariush...good on you for not indulging her. Adorable as she is, she isn't always going to be able to call the shots and it's best she learns that now. Especially when the family's safety is concerned.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger jammie said...

if im not mistaken my mom told me a similar story like this about myself :)

thanks for dropping by hinamommy. I dont need to tell you your blog is my first stop these days- lots of amazing lessson here for the future for me. love the humour and warmth with which you deal with things which other people would bitch and whine about.

am looking fwd to my changes and the excitement and the fun that seems to be part and parcel of mommyness. :)

keep writing. much love to iman.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home