Monday, February 05, 2007

Our New Addition...

The most exciting thing happened in our house yesterday.

But let me give you some background...
Over the past week I had noticed that a bird had started "nesting" in the flower pot outside our window. At first I tried to shoo it away, but this was a tough bugger. She made it a point to hold her ground.

A couple of days later, I had a feeling that she had picked this spot because it was snug and secure, and in all likelihood, she was going to have her babies on our window sill, and sure enough... yesterday Iman came screaming to me...

"There's an egg in the flowers!!" I followed her to the window, and there it lay, snuggled between the leaves and flowers, a small little egg, carefully being watched by its mommy. I was equally excited, as we both looked at the tiny (but adorable) addition to our window garden.

In this whole ordeal, Iman's main concern has been that the bird (who spends most of her time sitting on the egg) might break it. She has been pleading with me to bring it in where we can keep it safe. I enjoy explaining the intricacies of life to Iman. She listens with so much attention, as though she is literally absorbing the information into her mind.

Mama bird has also given me the opportunity to explain my motherly love to Iman. Telling her how much a mommy cares for her young and looks after them and saves them from all the dangers that surround them.

The egg and its mother have reassured my little one that her parents love her more than the stars in the sky. And in this realization, I have seen an unspoken happiness in her eyes. A feeling of safety and security that allows her to test the waters and have her own small adventures, all the while knowing that her parents have their wings around her, protecting her from harms way.

6 Comments:

At 6:20 PM, Blogger Blogger said...

Oh my goodness! That's quite amazing! Had it happened in a Hollywood movie (which is perhaps the kind of context in which one might expect it to happen) it would have drawn nothing but contempt and derision from me. But as it really has happened to you and Iman, I will allow it to bring a faint smile to my face.

Hope it hatches soon!!!

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Asma said...

share a picture :-)

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Lorraine said...

That is a superfantastic story and very beautifully told. (And Dariush is such a cynic. I think he needs to eat more fudge).

 
At 1:18 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

What a wonderful story!

 
At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Put up the picture, Put up the picture, Put up the picture...

 
At 12:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aww.=)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home